Not that it comes as any surprise but Netflix renewed its hit series Wednesday for a second season. Wednesday offers a new take on The Addams Family — the classic cartoon strip that was created by Charles Addams which ultimately became a ’60s sitcom and a ’90s feature film.
The series was led by Jenna Ortega who is returning for season 2. Christina Ricci, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Luis Guzmán, Gwendoline Christie, Emma Myers, Joy Sunday, Isaac Ordonez, George Burcea, Hunter Doohan, Fred Armisen, Georgie Farmer, and Percy Hynes White starred in the series.
Wednesday is described as “a sleuthing, supernaturally infused mystery charting Wednesday Addams’ years as a student at Nevermore Academy, where she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the murder mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago — all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore.”
Since its release Nov. 23, the debut season has made major strides and broke tons of records:
- Wednesday is now one of the most successful series ever on Netflix.
- It ranks #2 on the Most Popular (English) TV list with 1.237 Billion hours viewed within its first 28 days.
- More than 182 Million households have seen the series since its debut. (1.237B hours divided by 6.8 hours)
- Wednesday crossed the 1 billion hour view mark only three weeks after debut – joining Stranger Things 4 and Squid Game as the third title to reach this milestone within its first 28 days.
- The series broke the record for the most hours viewed in a week for an English-language TV series on Netflix – not once, but twice – when it debuted in the #1 spot with a record breaking 341.23M hours viewed, and again in its second week with a staggering 411.29M hours viewed.
“It’s been incredible to create a show that has connected with people across the world,” said showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar in a statement. “Thrilled to continue Wednesday’s tortuous journey into season two. We can’t wait to dive head first into another season and explore the kooky spooky world of Nevermore. Just need to make sure Wednesday hasn’t emptied the pool first.”
The show has become a sensation with Wednesday products selling at Hot Topic and Cakeworthy and the cast’s reaction video to Ortega’s show-stopping dance sequence racking up 80 million views on Tiktok, according to Netflix.